The RRNA board and neighbors met on September 18 at Lions Field. Meeting highlights:
- The board discussed the development of a comprehensive plan to improve the San Antonio River in our neighborhood, to encompass the intertwined issues of flooding and drainage, hike and bike trails, vegetation and riverbank restoration, and the proposed bird sanctuary. Developing this plan involves active participation in the Park Reach Subcommittee of the San Antonio River Oversight Committee, meeting with Charles Bartlett of the Parks Board, and coordinating with the Audubon society, Municipal Golf Association-San Antonio, and the San Antonio River Authority, among others.
- The recent golf course renovation has had no negative effects on drainage in the 100 year floodplain which includes our neighborhood, according to a recently completed study by the San Antonio River Authority (SARA). The RRNA and SARA will continue to be vigilant as new buildings are constructed on the golf course.
- The board made plans for National Night Out on October 7 and RRNA's annual Porch Sale and Fair on October 11 and 12. (See newsletter article for details.)
- The RRNA is working to commemorate the Spanish colonial acequias that ran through our neighborhood, in coordination with the city archeologist and the Parks Department. We have been invited to submit a grant proposal to the Parks Department to fund restoration and/or historical markers.
- The RRNA website is up and running again (www.riverroadna.org).
- RRNA subcommittees and Neighborhood Affiliative Representatives were confirmed as follows:
- Golf Course Renovation â€“ Larry DeMartino, John Larcade, Roy Schweers,
- Drainage â€“ DeMartino, Schweers, Mike Sullivan, Barbara Witte-Howell
- Bike Path/Mulberry Sidewalk â€“ Larry Clark, Bill Sibley, Sally Boothe-Meredith
- Communications â€“ Nell Grover, Boothe-Meredith, Sullivan
- Events â€“ Lea Brogan, Augie Cortez
- Brackenridge Park Garage â€“ DeMartino
- Traffic/Neighborhood Plan â€“ Clark, Mimi Quintanilla
- River Care â€“ Clark, David Schmidt, Russ Smith
- History â€“ Sibley, Anne Larme
- River Oversight Committee â€“ Reed (alternate: DeMartino)
- King's Court â€“ Bob Buchanan (alternate: DeMartino)
- Neighborhood Conservation District -- Larcade
Neighborhood Affiliative Representatives
All neighbors are welcome to attend RRNA meetings on the third Thursday of the month at 7 PM, Lions Field. Our next meeting is October 16.